1. The Club shall be called Cheltenham Archers hereinafter referred to as the “Club”.
2a. The funds and property of the Club shall be vested in the Chairman, Secretary and Treasurer for the time being as Trustees of the Club.
2b. All monies received on behalf of the Club shall remain the property of the Club and there shall be no distribution of such funds among members.
3. The objects of the Club shall be promotion and encouragement of Archery in all its forms other than Bow Hunting.
4. The Shooting Regulations as prescribed in the Archery GB Rules of Shooting shall be accepted as governing the relevant branches of the Sport of Archery practiced by the Club and its members.
5. Nothing will be included in this Constitution which conflicts with that of Archery GB.
6. The postal address of the Club will be that of the Secretary for the time being.
7. The Constitution of the Club shall not be altered or amended except at the Annual General Meeting or at an Extraordinary General Meeting of the Club.
8. Members wishing to move a proposition designed to alter or amend the Constitution shall submit such proposition to the Secretary twenty-eight days before the General Meeting at which such proposition is to be considered.
9. Notice of such proposition, which it is intended to move, shall be sent to all members entitled to receive notice of such Meeting.
10. There shall be the following classes of members:
i) Senior Members (age 25 and over)
ii) Junior Members (age less than 18)
iii) Young Adult Members (age 18 to 24 inclusive)
iv) Honorary Members
v) Non-Shooting Members
vi) Support Members
11. Any person interested and qualified in Archery shall be eligible for admittance on the following basis:
- Age 8 to 17 as a Junior Member
- Age 18 to 24 as a Young Adult Member
- Age 25 and Over as a Senior Member.
12. Any person whom the Club may wish to honour for distinguished service to the Club may be elected at a General Meeting of the Club as an Honorary Member for Life or for a specified period of time.
12a. All members shall accept the jurisdiction of the Club and shall conform to such conditions, shooting rules and regulations as may be determined from time to time.
12b. Members may only shoot for Cheltenham Archers. Any member wishing to shoot for any other club or organisation may only do so with the permission of the committee, which shall not be unreasonably refused.
13. If, in the opinion of the Club Committee, any member shall be guilty of misconduct, the Club Committee may, after affording such person a reasonable opportunity of hearing, expel such person from membership or impose such other penalty as it may think fit, without being called upon to state its reasons except to the member concerned.
14. All members as defined in Clause 8 other than Honorary Members shall pay an annual subscription to the Club at rates to be determined from time to time by the committee.
14a. The Club’s subscription year to run from 1st October to 30th September.
14b. Membership will lapse on 30th September annually. In order to allow sufficient time to process membership renewals (together with Archery GB, Grand Western Archery Society and Gloucestershire Archery Society affiliations) the payment of Club renewal subscriptions and affiliation fees are to be made to the Club by 31st August annually.
14c. Pro-rata Membership subscriptions are available to new members.
14d. A former member who has lapsed for in excess of twelve months is deemed to be a new member.
14e. A former member who has lapsed for less than twelve months will not qualify for pro-rata subscription on re-joining.
15. The management of the Club’s affairs shall be entrusted to the Club Committee.
16. The Club Committee shall consist of:
- 3 Senior Shooting Members
17. The Club Committee shall have the power to co-opt any specialist members.
18. A Chairman, Secretary, Treasurer and three shooting Committee members shall be appointed by members in General Meeting which shall determine the terms of their appointment from time to time. Nominations for Chairman, Secretary and Treasurer shall be made on a nomination form, such form to be sent to all members with notification of the Annual General Meeting. Nominations for the three shooting committee members to be taken from the membership attending the meeting.
19. At meetings of the Club Committee the Chairman, if it is necessary, is entitled to an additional deciding vote.
20. Officers and members of the Committee may serve for an unlimited period, subject to re-election at the Annual General Meeting.
21. No member shall be elected to serve if not present at the Annual General Meeting unless they have expressed their willingness to do so. A President may be elected at an Annual General Meeting or an Extraordinary General Meeting.
22. In furtherance of the object but not otherwise, the Club Committee may exercise the following powers:
i) Power to raise funds and to invite and receive contributions provided that in raising funds the Club Committee shall not undertake any substantial permanent trading activity and shall conform to any relevant requirements of the law.
ii) To buy, take on lease or exchange property necessary for the achievement of the objects and to maintain and equip for its use.
iii) Subject to any consents required by law to sell, lease or dispose of all or any part of the property of the Club.
iv) Power subject to any consents required by law to borrow money and to charge all or any part of the property of the Club with repayment of the money so borrowed.
v) Power to make regulations for the proper supervision control of any property, which may be acquired.
vi) Power to do all such other lawful things as are necessary for the achievement of the objects of the Club.
23a. In the execution of his or her powers no member of the Club Committee shall be liable:
i) for any loss to the property of the Club by reason of any improper investment made in good faith (so long as he or she shall have sought reasonable professional advice before making such investment) or
ii) for the negligence or fraud of any agent employed by him or her or by any other member of the Club Committee in good faith (provided reasonable supervision shall have been exercised) and no member of the Club Committee shall be liable by reason of any mistake or omission made in good faith by any member of the Club Committee other that wilful and individual fraud, wrongdoing or wrongful omission on the part of the member who is so sought to be made liable.
23b. If any member of the committee incurs personal liability on behalf of the Club by the nature of its unincorporated status and such member is obliged to make a payment in order to satisfy any such obligation, then that member shall be entitled to be indemnified out of the assets of the Club provided that:
i) The liability was incurred in furtherance of the objects of the Club.
ii) The liability was incurred in good faith.
iii) The Committee Member did not act negligently or fraudulently.
iv) The transaction for which the liability was incurred was approved by the Committee and was within the terms and conditions of the Club’s constitution.
24. An Auditor shall be appointed annually by members at the Annual General Meeting.
25. The club shall cause to be prepared and shall present at the Annual General Meeting a Balance Sheet showing the financial position of the Club on the 31st August of the preceding year together with an Income and Expenditure Account for the twelve months ending on that date.
26. A copy of the Balance Sheet and Income and Expenditure Account, duly certified by the Auditor shall be given to members at the Annual General Meeting.
27. A Bank Account shall be maintained in the name of the Club. All cheques and orders withdrawing monies from the Account shall be signed by any two of the Club Chairman, Secretary or Treasurer.
28. No business shall be transacted unless a quorum is present when the meeting proceeds to business. A quorum shall be six committee members (one of which must be an Executive Officer of the Club).
29. If the Club Chairman is not present within fifteen minutes of the time set for the start of the meeting then those present shall appoint one of the other Executive officers to chair the meeting.
30. The Committee members shall meet together for the conduct of business, as they shall decide. Proposals at any Meeting shall be decided by a simple majority of votes. In the case of equality of votes the Chairman shall have an additional casting vote.
31. The Committee will cause proper minutes to be made of all its proceedings and of the proceedings of General Meetings of the Club.
32. The minutes of any meeting, if approved at the next succeeding meeting shall be conclusive proof without further evidence of the business conducted and decisions made.
Annual General Meeting
33. The Annual General Meeting shall be held before the end of September at a place to be determined by the Club Committee. Not less than twenty-one clear days’ notice of such Meeting shall be sent to the Club members.
Extraordinary General Meeting
34. The Club Committee, or at the request of 12 senior / Young Adult members or 20% of the combined Senior and Young Adult membership, whichever number is greater, shall call an Extraordinary General Meeting
35. The demand and reasons for such EGM shall be deposited with the honorary secretary for seven clear days prior to membership notification. Not less than twenty-one clear days’ notice of such Meetings shall be sent to the Club members. Notice of any proposition, which it is intended to move, shall be sent to all Club members entitled to receive notice of the Meeting.
36. At any Extraordinary General Meeting no matter may be discussed which is not on the agenda, and a chairman shall be elected at the Meeting.
37. The quorum for an EGM shall be 12 senior / Young Adult members or 20% of the combined Senior and Young Adult membership, whichever is the greater number.
Voting and Quorum
38. At all General Meetings:
i) No quorum shall be necessary for an AGM.
ii) A quorum of 12 members (or 20% – see above) shall be necessary at an EGM.
iii) Each Senior and Young Adult Club member shall be entitled to one vote.
iv) The Chairman shall, if required, be entitled to cast an additional deciding vote.
39. The Committee shall produce and periodically revise Standing Orders for the day-to-day administration of the Club.
40. In the case of emergency the Chairman, the Secretary and the Treasurer shall together have full powers to act.
41. Visiting members of Archery GB wishing to shoot may do so by being introduced by a member who will enter the name of the visitor and the date, and sign his/her own name in the Visitors Book, and payment of a target fee.
42. New members must have satisfactorily completed an Archery GB or World Archery recognised course of instruction.
43. Junior members between the ages of 8-17 years may shoot only under the personal control of a fully affiliated Senior or Young Adult Archery GB member.
44. An Annual Bow Meeting will be held in September, when Challenge Trophies will be competed for. The trophy for the Goose Shoot (50 yards), Handicap and Beginner’s medals will also be competed for at this meeting.
45. All trophies are the property of Cheltenham Archers and shall not be taken out of the United Kingdom. All trophies must be returned to the Secretary by 1st September of the following year.
46. All shooting shall be under Archery GB rules. All members will be deemed to have acquainted themselves with these rules. Handicaps will be allotted on scores shot on any day of the week.
47. The use of Crossbows is prohibited.
48. The committee shall have the power to limit membership on the grounds of safety. In the event of such limits being placed on membership numbers the Club will operate a moratorium. Any persons expressing an interest to join will be entered on a waiting list and admitted on a first come first served basis.
49. In the event of Cheltenham Archers failing to remain a viable club, the Club may be dissolved after a two thirds majority of the members at the meeting called for that purpose has supported a resolution or a resolution as amended at the meeting.
50. In case of dissolution, all assets shall be handed to some appropriate sporting body or bodies.
Last Amended 11th July 2016